[olpc-software] Which BIOS will OLPC have ?

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Mon Jun 5 14:55:26 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 10:14:12AM -0400, Jim Gettys wrote:
> Yes, we'll be using LinuxBIOS.  And Alan is correct about how the Geode
> works.

I actually have all the docs and the firmware source for the older Geode,
with the permission of Cyrix. While I can use this to help debug Linux problems
(including it would appear those with Linux firmware ;)) I'm not permitted to
make the documents or the firmware source itself public.

> owned, and which were not.  My memory is that the VESA emulation is not
> owned by AMD; we don't plan to use it once we're using fbdev.

Xorg for the older chips at least in part uses the VESA emulation (which
encapsulates chunks of the video circuitry knowledge). That area doesn't
look problematic as the OLPC has a fixed video arrangement and also has its
own rather unusual video design.

Alan