[olpc-software] sugar - patch

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Wed Jun 7 20:29:21 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 14:18 -0600, Ronald G Minnich wrote:
> Mike Hearn wrote:
> >> Its 'fast enough' for the most part
> >

> > I was thinking more about resource usage than raw speed actually ....
>
> I'm thinking about demand-loading tons of stuff from a 2.6 MB/sec. drive.

Python itself isn't large; what likely will happen is a medium-size
initial load of python, GTK, Xlib, and a few other regular libraries.
That's no different than _any_ other application in C or whatever.

Where python differs will be much much smaller reads of < 100k for the
python modules that a python app imports.  There could be a dozen of
those, maybe more.  But the reads will likely be an order of magnitude
smaller than loading 3MB of libgtk-x11.  The core, compressed Python RPM
is 6MB, and that includes a lot of documentation too.

Dan