[olpc-software] Yum won't install SDK

Philip Goembel phil-goembel at wi.rr.com
Sat Jun 10 19:08:46 UTC 2006

I tried installing the OLPC SDK on my FC4 system with yum,
according to the instructions I found via the olpc wiki
(http://people.redhat.com/berrange/olpc/sdk/)

Yum aborts the install when it determines that I don't have the right
version of glibc:

Error: Missing Dependency: libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.4) is needed by package vde

I have the latest glibc available for FC4 from Red Hat - glibc-2.3.6.

I'm afraid to install a new version of glibc since I suspect almost all
of the software on my system depends on it, and I don't want to risk
breaking my system.

Nor do I wish to upgrade to FC5. If FC5 is required, then the
instructions I found through the wiki should not say that the SDK is
designed for installation on FC4.

I don't see any way to force yum to install vde rpm, looking at the yum
man page.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. Any help would be appreciated.