[olpc-software] hello to the list

Tom Munnecke munnecke at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 20:36:14 UTC 2006

I just joined this list, am exploring OLPC now... Here is a video I did with
Michail Bletsas last month at the Netsquared Conference in Santa Clara:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnho9jDnUGo that I thought the group might
find interesting.

By way of introduction, I was one of the chief software architects of both
the VA and the DoD hospital information systems (DHCP and CHCS); took early
retirement to see what I could do to use technology to make the world a
better place; became a fellow at Stanford's Digital Vision Program; started
a thinktank called the Uplift Academy (http://upliftacademy.org), have been
holding workshops in Boston (upliftacademy.org/reed) last year, Paris (
upliftacademy.org/parisnotes) last April.  I am particularly interested in
"viral" models of uplift, looking for scalable small things that can make a
large difference through scale.  The model I am chasing now is to use a
pattern language model, focusing on patterns of things that work and how to
amplify them, based loosely on Christopher Alexander's work on patterns.

I've been trying to load Sugar on my MacBook, but have not had much
success... I got stuck trying to load the py-GTK software with Darwinport...
is this worth even doing, or should I just scroung an old Pentium box and
load Fedora?