[olpc-software] Yum won't install SDK

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at redhat.com
Fri Jun 16 14:46:41 UTC 2006

Philip Goembel wrote:
> I have the latest glibc available for FC4 from Red Hat - glibc-2.3.6.
>
> I'm afraid to install a new version of glibc since I suspect almost all
> of the software on my system depends on it, and I don't want to risk
> breaking my system.
>
> Nor do I wish to upgrade to FC5. If FC5 is required, then the
> instructions I found through the wiki should not say that the SDK is
> designed for installation on FC4.
>
> I don't see any way to force yum to install vde rpm, looking at the yum
> man page.
>
> I'm not sure what to do at this point. Any help would be appreciated.

I've used the image development stuff with FC5, it works pretty well.
Also, David Zeuthen has been building on a RHEL4 machine which
apparently works as well.  But we haven't tested on FC4 and we're
unlikely to do so.  Not because we don't care about you, but don't have
the resources to offer infinite compatibility right now. :)

--Chris