[olpc-software] [Fwd: Re: [avahi] scalability of avahi (or mdns-sd in genera

Krishna Sankar ksankar at gte.net
Fri Jun 16 20:43:23 UTC 2006

Good notes. Couple of random thoughts ...

A) From our perspective, my (uninformed, as I am still learning the pragmas of OLPC) view is that, for > 50 nodes, with lots of network traffic, we might have to go to a powered, infrastructure mode; (I am ready to be corrected)
B) Most probably other constraints will kick-in before we reach the ZeroConf limits
C) A ZeroConf substrate is applicable not only at the connectivity layer but also at the collaborative layer
D) Unless we are leveraging the bus for other functionalities, avahi *might* be slightly heavyweight; we might have to implement ZeroConf on the bare metal
E) Also, we might need more integration and context-awareness between the mesh layer and the ZeroConf layer; may be even optimize some of the exchanges.
Thoughts ?
Cheers
<k/>