[olpc-software] Starting X program

Teus Benschop teus at teusbenschop.nl
Fri Jun 23 01:20:51 UTC 2006

Dan Williams wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 18:04 +0200, Teus Benschop wrote:
>
>> /etc/inittab is set to runlevel 5, and Sugar starts in the simulator.
>>
>> But once in Sugar, I can't get a command prompt, and don't know how to
>> start any X program.
>>

> Ctrl+Alt+F1 will get you a login prompt on VT1 just like any other linux
> box...

True, it would, but as the image runs in the qemu simulator, it gives a
terminal on vt1 on the host... Somehow qemu does not pass Ctrl+Alt+F1 to
the guest OS, or the host OS snoops it away...

Secondly, if I were to be able to open the terminal on VT1, that would
be a text terminal. Starting X with startx would complain that the X
server is already running. Then killing that server, and starting it
again with "startx" would bring me back into Sugar without the option to
start an xterm...

Any further help is appreciated. I am particularly interested in knowing
which file to edit so that sugar would start a terminal or any other X
program.

Thanks,

Teus.