[olpc-software] welcome to the olpc software mailing list

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Mon Mar 6 18:39:00 UTC 2006

On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 01:19:54PM -0500, Jim Gettys wrote:
> Ah, but I want OOM: I just need to be able to control what gets killed,
> possibly warning that application long enough in advance it could save
> its state for a later transparent restart...  The kernel has no insight
> into that sort of behavior.

At the point we are OOM we cannot deliver a message to an application because
we are OOM and we would need memory to do it.

In the no OOM configuration the program asking to allocate memory gets refused
and can act appropriately as a result of the received NULL return from malloc.
Programs can also pre allocate address space if they need some buffers/objects
for recovery.

Alan