[olpc-software] No package manager?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Mar 13 20:19:46 UTC 2006

On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 03:11:57AM +0700, James Clark wrote:
> I'm intrigued by the comments in
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/OLPC/Goals
>
> to the effect that there won't be any need for a package manager.
>
> I can see that by constraining the platform you may not need a package
> manager to manage the platform itself, but won't you still need a
> package manager to allow users to install, uninstall and update the
> applications that are built on top of the platform?
>
> I guess you could avoid a package manager using the one directory per
> application approach.  Is that what you have in mind?

The language in the wiki page is probably a little misleading. We will
not need a 'traditional' package manager such as RPM or APT. We will,
however, definitely need some form of application deployment tool to
allow install/uninstall/update of add-on apps. Such a tool will likely
end up being closer to something like Klik or 0-Install - although we've
not made a firm decision on using either of those tools, since we need
to really consider the end-user workflows / deployment scenarios to
determine just what kind of capabilities the application deployment
tool would require.

Regards,
Dan.

http://0install.net/