[olpc-software] No package manager?

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Mon Mar 13 22:53:26 UTC 2006

On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 09:55:05PM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> Taking this further, why should there need to be any (user-visible) concept
> of installing software at all. If I'm at a webpage where an  application is
> available, why should I need to download it, change to root, and then install
> it before running it, when I could just click and link & have it run immediately.
> Now the system will obviously download software & do some form of 'install'
> operation, but this is not exposed to the user.

Thats what the Nokia 770 already does using dpkg and web browser media type
interfaces. Its what SGI Irix boxes did (minus asking the root password) in
days when the netscape they shipped was still payware.  Welcome to 1993.

But there is a reason you want the package concept visible to users,
a really important one. Most bandwidth is local in this mode so you want users
to have a visible concept of giving each other programs. "I'll get the maths
tool you get the book we need to read and we'll swap over later this evening"
is a concept that requires users awareness of packages, even if not of
"installation"

> http://zero-install.sourceforge.net/doc.html

I can't see a large proven userbase.  It also means maintaining extra kernel
gunge that is unproven and in a very tricky to avoid deadlock area. On the
positive side with the FUSE stuff it could possibly be moved to use an
upcoming interface.

Alan