[olpc-software] Package manager stuff

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Wed Mar 15 00:17:51 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 18:40 +0000, Mike Hearn wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 13:13 -0500, Alan Cox wrote:
> > On what basis ? Looking at the vast number of systems using these technologies
> > they appear robust and the ipkg variant has solved the size problem too.
>
> On the basis that I see people having problems using them every day.
> Typical problems include:
>
> * Software I want is missing
> * Software I want is out of date
> * I followed instructions on the web page which usually means I tried
>   to compile something and failed
> * I do not know these tools exist (even if they're in the menus, I do
>   not think to look there as Windows/Mac don't work that way)
> * I cannot find what I want (see synaptic)

Gnome-application-manager seems to be a much better UI to finding end
user programs.  So while I may sometimes run Synaptic on my Ubuntu
system (it is useful for searching for items that I don't know exist at
times), it isn't the UI that is offered to naive users these days.

G-A-M even gives me a nice description of what each end user intended
application does.

For example, the description from gnome-application-manager for
gnome-baker is:
GnomeBaker
GnomeBaker CD/DVD Writer
Gnomebaker is an easy to use CD/DVD burner. Its current features
include:
* Data and audio CD burning
* Multisession CDs
* DVD formating