[olpc-software] How fast does it take to write a system from a scratch?

James Clark jjc at sipa.or.th
Wed Mar 15 03:57:42 UTC 2006

> I'd like to get to the point we can even boot/install over the wireless
> network (one of the attractions of LinuxBIOS).

I think wireless installs would be a huge win.

Even if we can't get a BIOS that can boot wirelessly, I am wondering
whether we could enable wireless installs by shipping the laptop with a
minimal system (just a kernel and an initrd) that would download the
real kernel and initrd over the wireless network and then kexec those to
do the install.

James