[olpc-software] AbiWord, HIG

Alan Kay alan.kay at squeakland.org
Wed Mar 15 17:11:12 UTC 2006

Hi Rob --

At 08:21 AM 3/15/2006, Robert Staudinger wrote:
>Hmm, the wiki bit makes me think. Are you considering to use AbiWord
>as frontend? Currently AbiWord is pretty weak at reading HTML (much
>effort has been put into good export). Also because of being page
>oriented results may differ quite a bit when viewed in the browser.
>If the first priority word processing use case is editing HTML maybe a
>mozilla based frontend should be considered. I've been playing with
>that idea (and code) some time ago (
>http://robsta.rsm-freilassing.de/projects/ , look for "Bongo")

Here's an interesting problem.
1. Let's agree for the sake of argument that Seymour Papert's ideas are
really great and central for HDLT (about how children can best learn many
important powerful ideas in math, science, and thinking via constructing
dynamic models in a specially designed programming, media and
communications system). Some of the implications of this point of view can
be found in the pdf docs I referenced.

2. Another part of the puzzle is that the current SW "establishment" will
only use some systems and not others, regardless of merit or demerit. So we
should probably not attempt the massive task of "converting the heathen"
here, but cater to them by making the children's system in orthodox
recognizable tools.

3. And, whatever we wind up doing for the HDLT really has to run for all
the other children in the world that are connected to the net -- this means
it really has to run the same (we say "bit-identically") on "everything"
(at least anything that has a 300MHz CPU or more), and especially Windows,
Linux, and Mac and all combinations of browsers.

4. One part of the problem now becomes how to get facilities to children
who don't have the HDLT. People often are afraid of plugins, there are
firewalls, schools often reject them, etc.

If the web and browsers had been thought out at all reasonably, this would
be easy. Something like Hypercard would already be in browsers and this
would allow scripting of dynamic media in a reasonable and WYSIWYG way. Or
Java could have been done in such a way that it is small and runs
bit-identically in all broswers. Or security and protection could have been
done in such a way to allow simple safe downloads of executables. Or ...

One way to look at the problem, given that none of the easy good things
were done, is that a thin-client (like an enriched wiki) would be adequate
(if awkward) if the browsers could handle dynamic graphics reasonably
without requiring a download or update. (It's possible that someone has
found a way around this -- if so, I'd like to hear about it.)

As you can see from the white papers I referenced, we deal with all the
problems pretty completely and easily, but via a thicker client that has to
be downloaded by the end-users. We run bit-identically by simply being a
mini-os with complete facilities that the host's os thinks is an app. Then
we do all the graphics, sound, media, tools, UI, etc. See
http://users.ipa.net/~dwighth/squeak/oopsla_squeak.html for how. This can
also be done on the HDLT (and we've been running on the reference HW for
more than 6 months).

But we are looking for a way that is more automatic for all the other users
in the world. And we are even OK with the idea of giving up our own
advanced tools in favor of something more recognizable to the majority of
open source programmers so long as we can fulfill the requirements in some
other way (after all, it's "children first" here, and they don't care what
their environment is written in). But we do need to solve these problems
somehow.

Cheers,

Alan