[olpc-software] AbiWord, HIG

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Wed Mar 15 18:11:25 UTC 2006

On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 09:31:32AM -0800, Alan Kay wrote:
> really good about (say) wikipedia is that it works if you have a browser.
> What's bad is that browsers were not furnished with enough dynamic graphics
> programmability so we can't go much beyond the wikipedia.

This isn't actually true for a modern browser, and becomes incredibly untrue
with the inclusion of SVG. Things like google maps are really only scratching
the surface of what can be done with javascript today. We don't yet have
SVG in all the browsers but its coming, we do have all the bitmap graphics
and javascript functionality plus DOM to manipulate the underlying document.
Most of it is now even standardised so you can choose to write portable code.

Bit perfect - no, functional yes. You could reimplement hypercard with it, but
firstly you'd have to find a reason 8)

Alan