[olpc-software] AbiWord, HIG

Alan Kay alan.kay at squeakland.org
Thu Mar 16 16:13:51 UTC 2006

Hi Alan --

Yes, and doctors used to bleed people and worse. However most of them
stopped (and were stopped) when better practices emerged. In this case, the
better practices were already around. I much prefer to be fulsome in my
praise of people who did much better than average, like Engelbart, the
Internet designers, etc.

As I said to Jim, I don't have any drive towards personal attacks, but I
think we should be more comprehensive about how knowledge should be used.
If you were born in 10,000BC with a 500 IQ you are still not going to be
able to do much. Pop cultures are all about IQ and not about knowledge.
Computing was on the path towards becoming a real field until it got
distracted by the personal computer and Internet commercialization.

Cheers,

Alan