[olpc-software] Scaling and localization in package management

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Thu Mar 16 20:42:06 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 11:30 +0530, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:

> Perhaps the message to take home is not to become too anxious about
> translating OLPC software into every language worldwide. Some of the
> initiative should be taken by those people having the language as their
> mother tongue.

I'm not anxious about it, other than to note I expect a great increase
in I18N work will go on, and I don't believe our current methodology
scales up far enough and that it has consequences on how we test and
distribute software, at least popular software packages that most users
will use.  And we won't have trouble next year; it will only add another
15 languages or so (25% growth won't break the bank).  It is the year
after that becomes an issue.

I do expect that it will be the "mother tongue" speakers doing the
translation work.

Also remember governments are involved; most of them do wish to see
their cultures preserved (though some try to stamp out other cultures).
				- Jim

--
Jim Gettys
One Laptop Per Child