[olpc-software] graceful handling of out-of-memory conditions

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Fri Mar 17 14:58:56 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-17 at 09:47 -0500, Jim Gettys wrote:
> So when the user changes the state of what is on top, the WM can then
> warn some processes they might be shot in time for them to save state,
> update the priority list in the kernel, and the kernel would know what
> to kill first when OOM happens.

Applications could also set WM hints to say "I can die now" or "I really
can't afford to die".

That way if the user modifies a document but doesn't save it, switches
to another app with another document and then saves that, the app
containing the saved document will be killed before the unsaved document
even though it's on top.