[olpc-software] AbiWord, HIG

Stephen J. Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 01:52:04 UTC 2006

On 3/17/06, Robert Staudinger <robert.staudinger at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/15/06, Alan Kay <alan.kay at squeakland.org> wrote:
> > Just curious ...  why is a lot of real estate still being taken for
> > non-content items?
> >
> > There are very likely more compact solutions that start out with everything
> > being visible, but as the user learns can move to more subtle and smaller
> > cues and access. Also, the chip set can do alpha blending, and we've
> > experimented with using that to overlay some of the UI, etc.
> >
> > Good start ... I encourage you to continue with more and different
> > experiments ...
>
> Thanks for your kind words. Here is a second set of mockups with fewer
> metaphors and more direct manipulation:
> http://www.abisource.com/~rob/tmp/mockups-2.png
> Would be great if you (and other interested people of course) could
> give some feedback again.

I like it. It is what I have been looking at in another desktop idea..
putting a physical context for a desktop. The login (not needed for
OLPC?) would be something like a door to a house. You walk into the
house and come to a set of objects/rooms that you choose what you want
to do next.. objects can be added onto in a house context so a new
user has a familiar context to work with on a completely abstract
concept.

> Best,
> Rob
>
> --