[olpc-software] age target?

Alan Kay alan.kay at squeakland.org
Tue Mar 21 16:05:27 UTC 2006

Good question --

I believe that the "OLPC project" is still thinking about its specific
aims. Earlier is better, but governments sometimes deal with politically
hot problems (such as teenagers, job markets, etc.)

There are tradeoffs between most desirable ages for starting with children
and what's required of the mentoring environment (usually adults) to get
best results. The younger the better is most desirable for children, but
the adults have to be very good to make best practices work. As the
children get older, they start to get more set in their commonsense views
of the world, and some of the special viewpoints (that science requires for
example) start becoming harder and harder to acquire. OTOH, the older
children can start to help bridge some of the gaps between what adults are
willing to learn and what children are willing to learn. We've tried most
ages over the last 35 years, and have gradually homed in on "4th to 6th
graders" (about 9 - 12 years old) as a pretty good compromise. They can do
quite a bit with less than ideal adult guidance. But depth experiences are
always a problem without good mentors.

So most of the stuff on http://squeakland.org is aimed at this age group.
To bring you up to date on what we've been doing with children the last 10
years or so, here are two white papers about Squeak Etoys that you can go
to directly: http://www.squeakland.org/pdf/etoys_n_learning.pdf ,
http://www.squeakland.org/pdf/etoys_n_authoring.pdf . There is an excellent
book by Kim Rose and BJ Conn that covers a sequence of about a dozen
projects that were tested for three years on 5th graders. The system is
multilingual, and there are installations in many parts of the world.

Interestingly (in general and wrt the HDLT project), a very large number of
the actual uses in the US and the world do not follow the "learn science
and math" stuff, but are used as ways to solve the often more limited aims
of the particular teachers (for "computer literacy", "creativity", etc.).
We believe this happens primarily because most teachers of this age range
have very limited science and math backgrounds. I think this will be a huge
problem with the HDLT as well. It will be immediately used for "human
built-ins" (such as communication, stories, games, etc,) but the use for
learning "non-natural knowledge" (like science, mathematics, etc.) will
languish. We've seen this pattern very strongly in the use of the web in
US, Europe and Japan, and there is no reason to suppose that things will
somehow automatically be better in the 3rd world. So I think that
"mentoring" (in all the forms that we can devise) is the most important "UI
problem" to be solved on the HDLT.

Cheers,

Alan