[olpc-software] age target?

Alan Kay alan.kay at squeakland.org
Tue Mar 21 21:24:29 UTC 2006

Hi Alan --

My opinion is that for children these are "the same", in that it makes real
sense to have children learn technology, engineering, math and science as
aspects of a cause and effect way to perceive and deal with the universe.

I also think that there are some nice tie ins with the developmental
history of these areas. Many aspects of 19th century (and early 20th
century) engineering (and the science and math that go along with them) are
quite accessable and doable by children. I grew up on a farm in the 1940s
and got very familiar with the simple technology and how to fix it, but
also learned electronics from books like "The Electrical Experimenter" that
were written in the 20s and 30s. These books expected that children around
11 years old on would be able to make quite a variety of electrical and
electronic devices. Also, model airplanes in those days were really models,
in the sense that they used the same stringer and template and
dope-stretched fabric technology of many actual planes.

There is a limit to which this can be pushed, but there's no question in my
mind that many 3rd world countries could be tremendously aided by learning
how to do preWWII technology, agriculture, and sanitation, most of which is
pretty low tech. (Biologists know that sanitation is a much stronger
disease deterrent than drugs with regard to almost all diseases.)

And, all this certainly ties in with constructivist ideas of learning by
doing. The trick is to make the more ad hoc cook-bookery of technology and
engineering tie strongly into science and math. We can tell this is a
problem by simply noting that it is really difficult to find "science and
math" in a science museum, what is displayed is usually forms of technology
and engineering.

Cheers,

Alan