[olpc-software] age target?

Alan Kay alan.kay at squeakland.org
Wed Mar 22 15:29:47 UTC 2006

Hi --

With Google try "$100 laptop". The OLPC website is http://laptop.org/

At 07:18 AM 3/22/2006, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
>On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 06:52:49AM -0800, Alan Kay wrote:
>This is probably a stupid question but where can I find out more about
>HDLT?  Google unhelpfully points me to the Helicon Double Layer
>Thruster.
>
> > > I read Seymour Papert's books and that's where
> > >I disagree with his emphasis.  He seems to argue that utopia software is
> > >more important than the software license.
> >
> > ??? I'm missing something here ...
>
>I don't recall Papert talking about software licensing in his books.
>Furthermore, most of the software listed at the Logo Foundation is
>proprietary.  Last time I checked, the software which isn't proprietary
>is pretty poor.
>
>   http://el.media.mit.edu/Logo-foundation/

When did Seymour write those books?

I think most of this is 20 years out of date and moot wrt HDLT. There are a
number of open source free LOGOs around, and an enormous number of books
with LOGO projects in them, for learners from very early age through
college computer science (Brian Harvey's books) and deep mathematics
("Turtle Geometry" by diSessa and Abelson).

Cheers,

Alan