HDLT (was Re: [olpc-software] age target?)

Alan Kay alan.kay at squeakland.org
Mon Mar 27 01:52:18 UTC 2006

There's nothing official about HDLT. I just use it to simplify typing.
"$100 laptop" says a lot of what the gadget is, but it's awkward to type.

One Laptop Per Child says something about the project (the uninteresting
part), but nothing much about the HW, and nothing at all as to the
educational aims of the project. (So OLPC is not a good abbreviation for
the "$100 laptop".)

A title of a paper I wrote in 1972 is "A personal computer for children of
all ages", which described a future notebook computer for children (called
the Dynabook), says part of it, but not enough about the big goal. Another
paper I wrote in 1972 "A dynamic medium for creative thought" says quite a
bit more about what we've been working on over the years.

And it might be more like the one sentence summary you are looking for.

More directly, the project I think I've been working on since the late
sixties could be called "Helping children to grow up thinking better than
most adults do today".

That to me is the essence of my interest. The computer aspect is only a
part (but an important part) of this endeavor. An analogy would be to
helping children become better musicians. They already have an instrument
in their voice, but there are many good reasons to include musical
instruments as a critical part of becoming a better musician.

Cheers,

Alan