[olpc-software] graceful handling of out-of-memory conditions

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Tue Mar 28 13:50:43 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 13:45 +0100, Mike Hearn wrote:
> Jim Gettys wrote:
> > Jabber looks like the most promising protocol for that; we can
> either
> > elect machines to be jabber servers dynamically, or work on making
> > jabber more peer to peer.  And jabber also has the concept of store
> and
> > forward messages (part of why it is probably our best bet as a
> > technology base for IM).
> >
> Unless the Jabber protocol has changed a lot since I last worked with
> it
> (a few years ago), it's very much a client/server protocol and would
> be
> hard to adapt to a serverless environment (a Jabber server is a very
> heavy thing so I'm not sure electing them on the fly will work).

I gather there are lightweight jabber servers.

> There is already a P2P chat protocol in use thanks to iChat, which
> works
> pretty well, and it seems Gaim implements it. Updating it to use
> Avahi
> rather than Howl would be a lot less work, and give most of the
> flexibility.

Thanks for the pointer, we'll have to investigate this carefully.
though Gaim as an upstream is disturbing given the feedback I've had
about their cooperation with individuals providing patches.  I also hope
their more recent code has a better UI; I always have found it
inscrutable.

I'll ask Khaled Hassounah to investigate; he just joined the OLPC staff,
and is expert at IM protocols (having helped found a company doing IM
protocols.

Thanks for the suggestion.
                         - Jim

--