[olpc-software] graceful handling of out-of-memory conditions

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Tue Mar 28 14:34:46 UTC 2006

> Would it be useful if there were two levels of "no room" (actually there
> already are but its hardcoded for root). In other words the system rules would
> be something like
>
> 	100% swap + 60% ram + oom_adj based value
>
> so instead of hitting OOM we would refuse allocations which is what we need to
> do to keep the box running sanely not bog down but we would refuse allocations
> to applications before things like the WM and panel.

Something like this will probably help.  Though I don't remember
particularly logy behavior before things died (but it has been a while
since I was seriously experimenting); remember, what we lose in write
performance, we gain in access time on flash.  Disk drive seeks are
glacial...
                          - Jim

--
Jim Gettys