[olpc-software] Authentication, authorization, personalization/imprinting

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Wed Mar 29 10:53:23 UTC 2006

On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 11:49:26AM +0100, Mike Hearn wrote:
> * Separate multiple user accounts - but not applicable here, unless
>   perhaps the family wish to use the childs laptop and treat it as
>   a family laptop.

Providing you meet the one per user goal.

> * Prevent unauthorized access to data from people physically in front of
>   the machine. Realistically, is the headache of lost passwords worth
>   it? How much sensitive data will children have? Not much, I'd expect.

A lot. Your idea of privacy and theirs may differ but all children have and
need a private space. Whether the contents are truely valuable is a different
matter. Its all in the eye of the owner.

Children can also be vindictive, evil and spiteful so will do naughty things
to each others box in fits of anger.