[olpc-software] Authentication, authorization, personalization/imprinting

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Wed Mar 29 18:27:10 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 13:21 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 12:18 +0100, Mike Hearn wrote:
> > > OLPC can ship without any password protection.  If stuff gets deleted
> > > then kids will suddenly become very interested in learning about how to
> > > protect their files.
> >
> > Gotta be careful "education" here doesn't devolve into "UNIX
> > administrator training" ;)
>
> Yea, I really really think we want to hide the fact that it's a
> UNIX-like system as much as we possibly can. I, for one, really don't
> want to see the next generation of kids grow up having to learn about
> UNIX, shell scripts and things like pipes.

At the same time, though, kids who want to rip into the machine this way
need to be able to.  Scripting languages are a powerful concept...
Don't underestimate what and where kids may go, when motivated.

When I find my 11 year old learning things like how to use blender, I
stop underestimating what kids may want to do.  Remember, they have all
day, and you don't ;-).
                               - Jim

--
Jim Gettys