[olpc-software] graceful handling of out-of-memory conditions

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at redhat.com
Wed Mar 29 21:59:31 UTC 2006

Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On top of that, it seems to be widely accepted that teenagers talking to
> teenagers these days use IM instead of email virtually always, using
> email only to talk to adults or web stores or what have you.
>
> What this means is that a kids' laptop in the US could easily just punt
> and say "get a hotmail/gmail/yahoo account"
>
> I won't pretend to know how email fits in to One Laptop Per Child, but
> if a "thick client" mail app is uninteresting to US teenagers, perhaps
> there are creative ways to avoid needing one on the global laptop too.

I think the answer here is "something in the middle."  Being able to
read mail offline is pretty important, but keeping things simple and
easy to use is important.  Right now on Linux we have the two extremes:
easy via webmail or crazy-stupid-complex mail clients.  Mail clients
tend to adapt to everyone's environements.  (Kind of like cracking out
gnome-terminal?)

One of the nice things we can do here is to be able to dictate some of
the environment.  The carrot being that we can provide an easy to use
interface with a clean method for configuration and the stick being that
we don't really have any other options available.

As for chat, we need to move to something that supports both servers and
peer-to-peer - at least from the interface standpoint.  People have
brought up using jabber for the servers and there appears to be little
consensus on the peer to peer aspects; I have inventing, but it's clear
that we're going to have to do some of that, especially on the interface
side.  Nearly everything I've seen that's out there has serious problems
in the context of OLPC.

> Possible questions, Where does the IMAP server live in the envisioned
> One Laptop Per Child deployment? Could a webmail server live there
> instead for example? To what extent will the kids be using some sort of
> chat, vs. email, and who will the kids be chatting with or emailing?

The model that we've been talking about using is that there's a small
server that sits in each school.  This server isn't really anything more
than the laptop that you see with a disk enclosure added to the back to
a USB port.  The idea is that the software and experience is as close to
the same as the laptop itself.  That is, it's largely autonomous and
self managing, patches are applied in exactly the same way, etc.  The
only difference being some switches that are flipped that say "I'm a
server" and then it starts acting like one.

--Chris