[olpc-software] Servers

Kevin Purcell kevinpurcell at pobox.com
Fri Mar 31 21:59:53 UTC 2006

I think Ivan has a point. How do you know a large mesh cloud won't
provide sufficient bandwidth for most uses?

There seems to be a certain amount of "cart before the horse"
reasoning from a "Westernized" centralized IT standard network here
rather than a more peer to peer like solution that scales as you add
laptops with distributed bandwidth increasing in a fashion similar to
Bittorrent or distributed storage scaling like Freenet.

I suspect for large sites there will be a need for a "server-like" or
"access-point-like" devices but I think it will resemble an everyday
rack-mounted server or commercial access point in the same way the
$100 laptop resembles (say) a Dell Laptop. Once can see this sort of
device evolving from the $100 laptop design or perhaps using existing
low-power and no-moving-parts hardware (except perhaps for an optical
drive).

BTW, I think the papers Ivan sites (for those of us not familiar with
the literature :-) are:

Feng Zhao, Jie Liu, Juan Liu, Leonidas Guibas, and James Reich,
“Collaborative Signal and Information Processing: An Information
Directed Approach”, Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 91. No. 8, August,
2003, pp. 1199-1209.

<http://research.microsoft.com/~zhao/pubs/ieee-sn.pdf>

Maurice Chu, Horst Haussecker, and Feng Zhao, "Scalable information-
driven sensor querying and routing for ad hoc heterogeneous sensor
networks." Int'l J. High Performance Computing Applications, 16(3):
90-110, Fall 2002. Also, Xerox Palo Alto Research Center Technical
Report P2001-10113, May 2001.

<http://research.microsoft.com/~zhao/pubs/idsq.pdf>

--
Kevin Purcell