[Open-scap] picture

Kevin Sitto Kevin.Sitto at g2-inc.com
Thu Feb 19 04:30:34 UTC 2009

Hi Peter,

I like your ideas, the notion of using lib_openscap to provide an abstraction layer around the raw SCAP content definitely seems like something which would provide alot of value.

One thing I'd like to propose is that we provide both data abstraction and functional capabilities within lib_openscap.  The matter of providing functionality in addition to data abstraction is largely academic with the "enumerations" as this functionality is largely related to loading the abstract data types but becomes pretty significant as we start to look towards OVAL and XCCDF.

For example:

lib_openscap.CVE eventually provides the following:
structs:
CVE
functions:
LoadFromNVD
LoadFromFile

lib_openSCAP.OVAL provides something along the lines of:
structs:
OvalDefinition
OvalTest
OvalCriterion
OvalObject
OvalState
OvalTestResult
etc.
functions:
load_definitions
export_characteristics
export_results
ProbeObject
ResolveTest
etc.

In other words, the only tweak I would propose to the architecture you've defined is moving the directly OVAL related capabilities within scap_daemon down into the OVAL library within lib_openscap while leaving the higher level functionality of actually staying memory resident, monitoring for incoming signals, sending results to a server and other such facilities to scap_daemon which is basically our prototype for an app that would live in that top layer (what I believe Net-Centric folks like to call the "utilization layer").

What do you think?

Kevin