[Open-scap] getting started with source

Vladimir Giszpenc vgiszpenc at dsci.com
Wed Oct 19 13:44:59 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I got the oscap source using
$git clone git://git.fedorahosted.org/git/openscap.git

Then, I ran
$./autogen.sh

Then, I ran
$./configure

Finally, I ran make.  Here is where it exited out.

unix/linux/rpmverify.c:333: error: âVERIFY_MD5â undeclared here (not in a function)
unix/linux/rpmverify.c:333: warning: missing initializer
unix/linux/rpmverify.c:333: warning: (near initialization for ârpmverify_bhmap[6].a_flagâ)
make[3]: *** [probe_rpmverify-rpmverify.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/public/vlad/openscap/openscap/src/OVAL/probes'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/public/vlad/openscap/openscap/src/OVAL/probes'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/public/vlad/openscap/openscap'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I sort of fixed this by prepending RPM in front of VERIFY_MD5, but I really don't know what I am doing so I don't want to submit any patch to that effect.
Also, I am a proponent of reporting errors early.  I did not install swig at first and I think that configure should give an error since make gives an error when it is not installed.

I installed swig.  Reran configure.
Make
Make install (as root)

Now given
oscap xccdf generate guide --profile allrules output/rhel6-xccdf.xml > output/rhel6-guide.html

I get

oscap: error while loading shared libraries: libopenscap.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Can you offer any advice.

Thanks,

Vladimir Giszpenc
Armadillo Technical Lead