[Open-scap] C++ Library

Martin Preisler mpreisle at redhat.com
Sun Oct 21 22:48:35 UTC 2012

Hi,
don't take this the wrong way but you are going to hit one huge roadblock with this approach - lack of backward compatibility. SCAP 1.2 requires the tool to be able to interpret various versions, which means that you will need multiple XSD schemas, in various combinations. I don't see how you would be able to achieve that with your approach without some really complex XSD schema merging or custom patches applied after the generation of the model.

As said previously all this is so far is a serialisation project - it can load and save the data. Loading, saving and accessing the model is not a particularly hard problem, creating a thin wrapper around DOM would get you mostly the same thing. Interpreting the model is a lot more work. Do you think creating another SCAP tool completely from scratch is the way to go? What are your issues with openscap? Is there something that needs to be changed? You said that you found bugs in openscap, wouldn't addressing those be less work than writing another solution from scratch?

PS: Confidential and proprietary makefiles?

--
Martin Preisler