[Open-scap] Remediation Scripts

Shawn Wells shawn at redhat.com
Fri Apr 5 04:00:40 UTC 2013

On 3/27/13 11:36 AM, Nunez, Luis K wrote:
> This is good a conversation worth informing others on.   I am cross posting to the Open-SCAP-list and Remediation-dev mailing lists.
>
> I’ve noticed pockets of remediation discussions in the various email-lists and would like to align them to a forum where can work as a collective.
> I don’t want to stifle this effort or conversation but would like to move the discussion to the remediation-dev list. The remediation-dev list, is an open list for all to participate, was setup to inform and to foster capabilities to enable automated enterprise remediation.  The list members constitute industry vendors and government constituents.  It contains experience and knowledge from previous attempts at remediation capabilities.
>
> Some observations on the current discussion. The OpenSCAP remediation capability addresses part of the problem.  The current discourse (OpenSCAP XCCDF remediation) is beginning to touch on various Remediation Architectural issues (Workflow, tasking, reporting, OVRL, etc…).  As you know the subject of Remediation is broad with many perspectives and implications.  Before we spiral out control, I’ve seen it happen many times before with this subject, lets break them down into manageable sets.
>
> For lack of better reference material on Remediation Architecture, I would like to propose the NIST IR 7670 as a frame of reference for topic of discussions.  The NIST IR 7670  is by no means a standard, but it is something to reference form a work flow and use cases. Certainly the NIST IR 7670 is subject to revision to suit the needs of the community as it evolves and it invites any and all for critics to make it better.
>
> And so using the “Derived Requirements” from the IR 7670 I believe we can have meaningful discourse and solutions.  The current discussions on  “Remediation Scripting” seems to originate and is related to DR 5 – Remediation Policy specification.  It would be great to leverage the existing capabilities in OpenSCAP as a way to prototype and exercise elements in the XCCDF specification for remedial needs. We could also use this effort to propose revisions in specifications and guidance as needed. The prototype working code and content will be the mechanism by which a rough consensus from the community is achieved.
>
> Going forward I would like to invite thoughts and ideas to further innovate remediation capabilities.

In regards to DR 5, a key challenge I see is passing XCCDF refine-value
pairings into remediation scripts.

For example, in the SSG content we set a umask of 022 to meet FSO standards:
<refine-value idref="var_umask_for_daemons" selector="022" \>

How can I get the value of var_umask_for_daemons into remediation
content? To my (limited) knowledge of current standards such a method
doesn't exist, is it planned via NIST or the OpenSCAP guys?