[Open-scap] Running the RHEL6 SSG content on a RHEL5 System

Shawn Wells shawn at redhat.com
Fri Nov 15 23:28:19 UTC 2013

On 11/15/13, 3:31 PM, Matthew Mariani wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> Has anyone tried installing/running oscap on a RHEL5 system? It
> installed ok, but when I ran it all tests evaluated as
> 'notapplicable'.   I'm not sure if that's expected given this isn't a
> RHEL6 box or if there's a path to get this running.  If anyone has
> experience, please do share.

When running SSG on RHEL5, the 'notapplicable' is expected. SSG was
written for RHEL6, and we included CPE tags within the XCCDF. Highly
likely things won't scan properly on RHEL5 because of different file
locations, configuration names/directives, etc.

To force it, find and remove the following lines from your
ssg-rhel6-xccdf.xml file:
<platform idref="cpe:/o:redhat:enterprise_linux:6"/>
<platform idref="cpe:/o:redhat:enterprise_linux:6::client"/>