[Open-scap] What does this error mean?

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Mon Feb 17 20:04:42 UTC 2014

On Monday, February 17, 2014 12:53:39 PM Erinn Looney-Triggs wrote:
> Using scap-workbench on Fedora 20, trying to scan a remote system:
>
> 12:48:22 | [info] Opened file
> '/usr/share/xml/scap/ssg/fedora/ssg-fedora-xccdf.xml'.
>
> 12:48:36 | [err ] There was a problem when setting up the scanner.
> Details follow:
> There was a problem with OscapScannerRemoteSsh!
> You can only use source datastreams for scanning remotely!
>
> The above doesn't make much sense to me, perhaps it should be changed
> around a bit to be a little more verbose for us mere mortals ;)

If you are doing remote scanning, you need the xccdf, oval, and cpe files. The
tool is expecting the content to be sent as a datastream which means that all
3 are combined into 1 file using a specific format (in the SCAP 1.2
specification). What this is saying is the content being used to scan with is
not a data stream and it cannot resolve the objects in order to do a scan.

-Steve