[Open-scap] OpenSCAP 1.2.0 coming soon

Greg Elin gregelin at gitmachines.com
Wed Nov 5 04:56:34 UTC 2014

This discussion just keeps getting more interesting...

Steve is saying that RHEL 7 could be released before OVAL 5.11 has been
adopted. This would mean the only way to fully scan RHEL 7 would be to use
a not-yet-certified version of OpenSCAP v1.2.x supporting an OVAL 5.11
specification that had not yet been adopted.  Have I got that right?

It does seem smart to do the OpenSCAP work in pace with with RHEL7 even
though the certifying bodies may not keep up. But I do think it is
important to have a page that explains all this and could keep everyone
appraised with status.

Steve mentioned "Vendor Versioning Policy that was submitted during
validation."

Is there a validation package for OpenSCAP 1.0.8 that was submitted to
NIST? Is the package itself public? Here's the list of certified products:
http://nvd.nist.gov/scapproducts.cfm
And here is a press clip describing the 2014 certification:
http://www.atsec.com/us/news-red-hat-openscap-nist-certified-292.html

Greg