[Open-scap] OpenSCAP for embedded/network devices

Šimon Lukašík slukasik at redhat.com
Tue Jan 9 09:51:42 UTC 2018

On 01/08/2018 10:19 PM, Lee Wilson wrote:

> Hi Watson,
>

> Thanks for your detailed reply and apologies for my delay in
> responding.  Went off to look for something else that may do the job.
>

> The link that Eric has provided was initially what got me thinking about
> using OpenSCAP to do this task, it's real shame the approach of needing
> an agent was taken.

Thank You for your feedback, sir!

But, come on! :-)

I wouldn't call this "real shame". Many design decisions are just dumb,
I'll grant you that. However, in this particular case (to have
agent-less scanner or not), either decision wasn't particularly dumb.
So, please don't call it "real shame" (or explain).

I can hint that compromise had to be made between usability on things
like Cisco devices, versus resource consumption versus interoperability.
If you allow yourself to study SCAP standard more in depth, I am sure
you will comprehend.

I think we can celebrate that open-source world offers a choice in this
regard for the end user. We have openscap and joval!

Best,
~š.