[Open-scap] Using authconfig rather than hand editing files

Dan White d_e_white at icloud.com
Thu May 31 10:41:55 UTC 2018

Trimmed for readability

On May 31, 2018, at 04:01 AM, Pavel Březina <pbrezina at redhat.com> wrote:

On 05/30/2018 06:44 PM, Dan White wrote:

There are several pam stacks managed by authconfig:
- password-auth
- system-auth
- smartcard-auth
- fingerprint-auth
- postlogin

These files are just symlinks to $name-ac files that are written by
authconfig. If you need to do any changes that should persist, remove
the symlink and than edit the file without -ac suffix. Of course this
means that you stop using authconfig, but that is alright for most cases
as you need to configure it only once.

That is the whole point of the query.

This is for security hardening.
Authconfig removes stuff that needs to stay in.
I am suggesting updates for authconfig to provide the required settings
it currently removes.

Not using authconfig would make following many Red Hat documents difficult

Šimon made a suggestion I plan to follow.

Thanks for sharing your time and thoughts.

Dan White | d_e_white at icloud.com