[Open-scap] Developing Content for SLES

Alexander Bergmann abergmann at suse.com
Mon Oct 8 08:02:43 UTC 2018

Hi Jordan,

On Sun, Oct 07, 2018 at 11:06:32PM -0400, Jordan Caraballo wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I recently sent this to the scap-security-guide mailing list, but I am
> adding it here to get some advice.

I wasn't subscribed to that list until now, and will try to catch future
question directly there.

> Since we are looking to enhance the monitoring of our systems, I have plans
> on enhancing and developing content for SLES 11/12 for the SCAP Security
> Guide. While I know how to develop the content, I am not entirely sure of
> where to find the guides for SLES to create the specific profiles or add
> the rules.

We are currently working on enhancing the scap-security-guide with SUSE
content.

> Does anyone know where to find a guide for the specific checks that require
> a SLES system to be compliant? Any ideas? Is the CIS PDF benchmark an
> option?

A list of certifications can be found here:

https://www.suse.com/de-de/support/security/certifications/

Right now I'm working on a STIG automation with OpenSCAP. A spreadsheet
draft with details can already be accessed on our FTP server. A full
publication is pending.

ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/security/STIG/

Furthermore we have a PCI-DSS guide that is subject of a future SCAP
implementation. The guide is publicly accessible via:

https://www.suse.com/documentation/sles-12/singlehtml/pci-dss/pci-dss.html

CIS benchmarks are currently not covered from our side. However, it
should be possible to create a profile with existing tests to make them
available via the scap-security-guide.

Hope that answers most of your questions. Feel free to contact me here
or directly if something is unclear.

Regards,
Alex~

--
Alexander Bergmann <abergmann at suse.com>, Security Engineer, GPG:9FFA4886
SUSE Linux GmbH, GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton