[Ovirt-devel] Re: Ruby interface for Cobbler XML-RPC APIs.

Darryl L. Pierce dpierce at redhat.com
Fri Aug 1 12:41:04 UTC 2008

+++ David Lutterkort [01/08/08 02:21 +0000]:
>> Still looking for some feedback from anybody with some experience with Ruby.
>> I'm now working on the save functionality. I'm playing with having each child
>> class declare a saving script and passing it to the cobbler_save_method code
>> generator. I'd like some input from anybody on that path.
>
>Why not just decalre a save method straight up in each class ? I don't
>see what the metaprogramming there buys you.

I guess I was trying to be a little *too* slick with the programming. For now
I'll take your advice and just do a simple save per class.

>> +    @attrs
>> +
>> +    def attributes(name)
>> +      return @attrs ? @attrs[name] : nil
>> +    end
>
>Attributes is kinda an overloaded name in Ruby - how about fields or
>similar ? Also, should @attrs really be an instance variable rather than
>a class variable ?

Yeah. The attrs (I'll rename it to something clearer, maybe
"remote_definition"?) represent the values for that particular
system/distro/profile in the Cobbler server.

>> +      unless result
>> +        result = XMLRPC::Client.new2("http://#{@@hostname}/cobbler_api#{writable ? '_rw' : ''}")
>> +      end
>> +
>> +      return result
>> +    end
>
>Don't you want to cache the connection here, i.e. more something like

Not really. Depending on the call, it's either got to go through the
read-only interface or the read-write interface.

Thanks for the input. That's the kind of stuff I need to get this codebase
working cleanly.

--
Darryl L. Pierce, Sr. Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. - http://www.redhat.com/