[Ovirt-devel] Re: blocked on virt-viewer in Ovirt install preparation

Perry N. Myers pmyers at redhat.com
Wed Aug 6 13:34:35 UTC 2008

Guo Lian Yun wrote:
>   Thanks for your great help!

You're welcome :)

>   I installed successfully all dependency RPM by yum. But it report
> error when
>   I'm installing Ovirt.
>
> 1) It fails for me by running create-wui-appliance.sh to create virtual
> server.
>
> #bash create-wui-appliance.sh -t
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/9/Fedora/x86_64/os/
> -k http://ovirt.org/download/wui-rel-x86_64.ks -v
> Domain node3 defined from /tmp/tmp.b3q8JWVRoM
>
> Domain node4 defined from /tmp/tmp.jtalRXJK3k
>
> Domain node5 defined from /tmp/tmp.B8zlcSB1Cj
>
> Network dummybridge destroyed
>
> Network dummybridge has been undefined
>
> Network dummybridge defined from /tmp/tmp.s8cSkpypob
>
> Network dummybridge started
>
> Network dummybridge marked as autostarted
>
> Formatting '/var/lib/libvirt/images/developer.img', fmt=qcow2,
> size=6144000 kB
> Wed, 06 Aug 2008 03:40:05 ERROR    virConnectOpen() failed
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/sbin/virt-install", line 496, in <module>
>     main()
>   File "/usr/sbin/virt-install", line 345, in main
>     conn = cli.getConnection(options.connect)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/virtinst/cli.py", line 92, in
> getConnection
>     return libvirt.open(connect)
>   File "/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 135, in open
>     if ret is None:raise libvirtError('virConnectOpen() failed')
> libvirtError: virConnectOpen() failed
>
> Who knows why it is?

Hmm. The command above should work to create a completely new appliance
image in the current directory.  Some logs to look at would be:
/root/.virtinst/virt-install.log
/var/log/libvirt/qemu/*.log

Attach these logs to a mail message and I'll take a look at them.  They
might reveal something useful.  The command you're using above is only
necessary if you want to create the appliance from scratch.  If you have
downloaded the appliance tar.gz file from ovirt.org, then you can simply
just use it.  No need to recreate it from the RPM repositories.

> Then I try to run below command and pass for me.
>
> #bash create-wui-appliance.sh -d "`pwd`" -v
>
> Also, I can start 'developer' successfully.

Good.  This is the command that just reuses the existing .img file that is
downloaded from ovirt.org.

> 2) I tried to invoke the main Virt page, but it fails for me.
>
> #ssh -Y root at 192.168.50.2 firefox (or  ssh -fY root at 192.168.50.2 firefox
> -no-remote)
> ssh: connect to host 192.168.50.2 port 22: No route to host
>
> What's the ip refer to? Is it refer to the ip address of my own machine?
> It still fails for me by trying conncect to myself.

This is sshing to the appliance which has an IP address of 192.168.50.2 on
the dummybridge network.  If you just started the appliance when you ran
that command, the networking stack might not have been up yet.  Wait a few
minutes and try again...

Also, give me the output of:
virsh list --all
virsh dumpxml developer

> Here is the dummybridge output for my own machine.
>
> dummybridge Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:FF:99:97:1A:8F
>           inet addr:192.168.50.1  Bcast:192.168.50.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
>           inet6 addr: fe80::3cb0:b6ff:feed:cab/64 Scope:Link
>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:26 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
>           RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:4427 (4.3 KiB)
>
> #ssh -fY root at 192.168.50.1 firefox -no-remote
> Error: no display specified

This is sshing to your physical host running Fedora 9, so this is not
going to work.

> Does this fail because of putty? The set up machine isn't on my hand, I
> connect to it
> by putty. Do I have to install it on my local machine?

The command is trying to run firefox on a remote display using X
forwarding.  If you are running these commands in Putty on a Windows box
none of this will work since Windows can't natively display X
applications.  The easiest way to do this is to log into the local console
of the host that is running F9 and the developer appliance.  From the
local console open up an xterm and run the ssh commands from there.

Perry