[Ovirt-devel] Lighter-weight "developer" setup

Bryan Kearney bkearney at redhat.com
Tue Aug 12 18:34:11 UTC 2008

Chris Lalancette wrote:
<SNIP>
> 1.  Still have an oVirt appliance that has everything installed inside of it.
> Then, this appliance "manages" the host that it is actually running on, and can
> install additional guests alongside the appliance.  You need to protect the
> oVirt appliance a little bit so you don't accidentally destroy itself, but
> otherwise you can treat the underlying hardware just like any other node.

<SNIP>

> 2.  Get rid of the oVirt appliance completely, and just provide
> instructions/better scripts for installing all of the oVirt software directly on
> the host.  Then the host runs the WUI, and you don't need to protect any
> "special" guests.

<SNIP>

We have a first cut of an appliance definition of the ovirt appliance at
[1]. With this, we could look at a couple of other alternatives:

1) Make the recipe availble with instructions to build it via the
appliance tools on their machines either from the public mirrors or
local media.
2) Use the recipe to configure an existing bare metal machine.
3) Set up a public cobbler server to "koan up" a new appliance. Again,
this would be from the public mirrors.

1 and 3 _could_ save bandwidth based on using public mirrors. 1 could
save more if they have media handy.

2 would be really cool, but the current recipes do not control packages.
  We would need to work up a new "package" recipe, and then apply the
one from [1].

-- bk

[1] http://git.et.redhat.com/?p=acex.git;a=tree;f=ovirt/appliances/ovirt;