[Ovirt-devel] Lighter-weight "developer" setup

Jeff Schroeder jeffschroed at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 15:26:35 UTC 2008

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 7:53 AM, Bryan Kearney <bkearney at redhat.com> wrote:
> Bryan Kearney wrote:
>>
>> Chris Lalancette wrote:
>> <SNIP>
>>>
>>> 1.  Still have an oVirt appliance that has everything installed inside of
>>> it.
>>> Then, this appliance "manages" the host that it is actually running on,
>>> and can
>>> install additional guests alongside the appliance.  You need to protect
>>> the
>>> oVirt appliance a little bit so you don't accidentally destroy itself,
>>> but
>>> otherwise you can treat the underlying hardware just like any other node.
>>>
>> <SNIP>
>>>
>>> 2.  Get rid of the oVirt appliance completely, and just provide
>>> instructions/better scripts for installing all of the oVirt software
>>> directly on
>>> the host.  Then the host runs the WUI, and you don't need to protect any
>>> "special" guests.
>>
>> <SNIP>
>>

>> We have a first cut of an appliance definition of the ovirt appliance at
>> [1]. With this, we could look at a couple of other alternatives:
>>
>> 1) Make the recipe availble with instructions to build it via the
>> appliance tools on their machines either from the public mirrors or local
>> media.
>> 2) Use the recipe to configure an existing bare metal machine.
>> 3) Set up a public cobbler server to "koan up" a new appliance. Again,
>> this would be from the public mirrors.
>>
>> 1 and 3 _could_ save bandwidth based on using public mirrors. 1 could save
>> more if they have media handy.
>>
>> 2 would be really cool, but the current recipes do not control packages.
>>  We would need to work up a new "package" recipe, and then apply the one
>> from [1].
>>
>> -- bk
>>
>> [1] http://git.et.redhat.com/?p=acex.git;a=tree;f=ovirt/appliances/ovirt;
>

> Just following up. Would this approach help out? If so, how can I help
> getting folks to use the new puppet based recipe?

Please no. Some people aren't big fans of puppet and prefer
something with the flexibility of "everything is a text file". If you
mainly manage similar Linux hosts, puppet is annoying to setup
and maintain.

Treat everything like a text file and it is vastly less complex:
http://code.google.com/p/spine-mgmt/

I used this as an admin on the backend of ticketmaster.com.
It works like a champ.

--
Jeff Schroeder

Don't drink and derive, alcohol and analysis don't mix.
http://www.digitalprognosis.com