[Ovirt-devel] Create VM page

Chris Lalancette clalance at redhat.com
Tue Aug 26 06:45:43 UTC 2008

David Lutterkort wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-08-25 at 20:45 +0200, Chris Lalancette wrote:
>> The second describes things we need to know about the guest, such as whether it
>> supports ACPI/APIC, whether it supports virtio, etc.  This is equivalent to the
>> --os-type and --os-variant options in virt-install.  It basically describes to
>> taskomatic what to put in the XML so that we can boot with the right options.
>
> The one thing that leaves a bad taste in my mouth about all this is that
> similar information is currently hardcoded in virt-install (mostly in
> virtinst/FullVirtGuest.py) The data there has gotten more comprehensive
> over time, and will only become more complex over time.
>
> If we need this for oVirt, it's probably time to split that hardcoed
> data out from virt-install; maybe just invent an XML format for it, with
> clear definitions of what all the fields mean. That would eventually
> also make it possible for cobbler to provide distro info in a
> well-defined format (e.g., if Fedora starts to publish that metadata
> with each tree)
>
> In any event, hardcoding that data in virt-install felt wrong, and
> hardcoding it a second time in oVirt would be even wronger.

Yes, this thought had also crossed my mind.  I think it's a great idea for the
mid-term, to basically provide a set of config files with this information.  For
the short term, we can copy what virt-install is doing, and then once the config
file format is agreed upon and implemented, we can switch over to that.  Now we
just need a volunteer...

Chris Lalancette