[Ovirt-devel] Re: Configurable options for a Nic

Scott Seago sseago at redhat.com
Wed Aug 27 18:50:05 UTC 2008

Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
> +++ Scott Seago [27/08/08 14:19 -0400]:
>>> So, in order to prefill a NIC, we'll need a "New" button on this
>>> page  as well
>>> as the ability to edit and verify the mac address, yes? Should we
>>> be  able to
>>> edit the other macs?
>> Well the 'new host' form would be a bit of a special case. We'd only
>> be  able to fill in the MAC address for the management nic --
>> everything  else would be blank (not sure about hostname, as I
>> believe we'd need  something there...)
>
> There's no hostname column in nics: that's in hosts. Unless that's
> what you
> were referring to.

Yes that's what I mean. Before bringing a host online, we would
"pre-identify" it with the management nic -- creating the host object +
1 NIC object in the db. host-browser would fill in the rest when the
node first boots up.
>> So that wouldn't come up on this form. In fact, I  don't imagine
>> you'd be able to edit the usage type -- unless the WUI is  the place
>> to redefine the management nic, etc. I'm not sure what the use  case
>> is for editing this field or adding/removing NICs or editing MACs.
>
> Yeah, given that we can't control which NIC is the management one on the
> machine, does it even make sense to have that in the DB at all?

Well we need to know this in order to show the mac address/other NIC
info in the host summary list -- at least that's the idea I got from the
IRC discussion last week.

Scott