[Ovirt-devel] Managed-node image boot issue

Alan Pevec apevec at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 10:29:34 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 9:49 AM, Doron Fediuck <doron.fediuck at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi !
> A few days ago Alan identified a missing driver issue which
> caused us to get kernel panic during image boot. The missing
> driver was the hd's driver.

you were booting from cd and it was missing pata_marvell to which CD
drive was connected

> My question is a conceptual one;
> Why does the boot fail due to local disc issues ?
> It is my impression that managed node may not include a local
> disk at all (and use the storage pool), which will lead to
> the same behavior- kernel panic on boot.

yes, but you still need to mount rootfs (livecd iso in our case) which
is on your boot media.

You don't need additional drivers when PXE booting, b/c livecd iso is
embedded into initrd and loop-mounted by init script.