[Ovirt-devel] ovirt installation test scenarios

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Tue Dec 9 22:20:10 UTC 2008

Joey Boggs wrote:
> Michael DeHaan wrote:
>> Joey Boggs wrote:
>>> Since the options are limited right with what can be
>>> external(postgres/freeipa) here's a list so far of different oVirt
>>> installation scenarios that should to be tested
>>>
>>> external dns + internal cobbler + external dhcp + internal pxe
>>> external dns + internal cobbler + internal dhcp + internal pxe
>>> external dns + external cobbler + external dhcp + external pxe
>>> external dns + external cobbler + internal dhcp + external pxe
>>> internal dns + internal cobbler + external dhcp + internal pxe
>>> internal dns + internal cobbler + internal dhcp + internal pxe
>>>
>>> Can't reproduce these below just yet due to dnsmasq config,
>>> currently does both dhcp and dns by default bundled config
>>> internal dns + external cobbler + external dhcp + external pxe
>>> internal dns + external cobbler + internal dhcp + external pxe
>>>
>>> There may be some issues in producing these scenarios if so please
>>> let me know and we can build/correct a solution.
>>>

>> The cobbler server should be the PXE server, and that should help
>> simplify things, no?
>>
>> All the admin would have to do is set the next-server for the subnet
>> to point at the cobbler box if he happened to have another PXE
>> environment.   You could just document this step.
>>
>> Somewhat unrelated, is Ovirt doing any DHCP management?   Cobbler has
>> a built in feature for this that would probably be useful.  DNS also
>> -- and it does support dnsmasq in addition to the BIND stuff.   This
>> allows you to pin certain mac addresses to certain ip's and
>> hostnames, just by creating cobbler system records with that
>> information filled in.
>>
>> --Michael
>>
> Currently oVirt can use any dhcp app  to provide dhcp there is no
> management function. The appliance version uses dnsmasq based on
> install time basic configuration as will the first cut of the bare
> metal installer. We can use any dns server the only requirement for
> installation is forward/reverse lookup for the FreeIPA portion. We
> already provide some cobbler integration for the profiles, what would
> it take to integrate dns/dhcp into the ovirt console?

Possibly, if you want to do things like DHCP reservations (MAC->IP) or
assign DNS hostnames it makes good sense.

Ultimately I think ovirt centralizing on Cobbler where there are things
Cobbler can help with -- that way we can not only get more eyes on
Cobbler upstream, but we can also make sure we aren't duplicating effort.

Naturally you can use any DHCP, there isn't much to do other than set
the next server, but it would be a nice option ... the API's to do are
pretty simple.  Just edit /etc/cobbler/dhcp.template and create system
records with the mac/ip info, BIND management (and dnsmasq, at the
user's option) work similarly.

Slight changes have to be made when dealing with multiple networks,
which Cobbler can also account for.

These are all things the user doesn't have to set up initially but if
you create system records in the right way, the API consumer (ovirt) can
take advantage of these features for free without having to know that
cobbler is managing those services.

I do recommend disabling omapi if you're not testing with the devel
branch code -- it works much better if the configuration file is
generated and we just "cobbler sync" when we want to apply changes.

--Michael