[Ovirt-devel] Re: help

Perry Myers pmyers at redhat.com
Wed Dec 10 14:00:50 UTC 2008

Hadi Al-Saadi wrote:

> Sorry for disturbing you. But i know only you. If you can send me
> another person email, So i can flow up with him. I'll be more then
> thankful.

Hadi,

No problem.  I'm happy to help.  I've cc'd ovirt-devel on this message
though, in case there are others with similar questions.

> And i already register in ur mailing list but i don't know how to use
> it. and i logged to the irc chat but no one replayed me in the channel.

jdong_ replied to you on IRC.  He works on oVirt as well so he could have
helped you last night when you were asking for assistance.

To use the ovirt-devel mailing list (if you are registered) all you need
to do is send mail to ovirt-devel at redhat.com.  Anything you send to that
email address will show up on the mailing list for all list members to see
and respond to.  This mail is sent to ovirt-devel so if you reply to it it
will go to the mailing list.

> now our ovirt with fedora and kvm up and running fine.. we would like to
> know if we can setup any other guest  O/S expect fedora or ovirt node.
> like for example windows, ubuntu.
> can we install 64 bit  guest O/S ? from ovirt ?

Yes.  KVM supports various Windows guests (Windows XP, 2003, Vista) in
both 32 and 64 bit versions.  You should be able to run any of those ok.
To provision Windows guests from an ISO image you can set up an image
object in Cobbler on the oVirt Appliance.  Once that image object is set
up you can select it during the VM creation process in the oVirt UI.  I'm
not sure if the docs cover this process.  Darryl Pierce did some of the
work on this so he can assist you further with the process.

You can use the ISO provisioning method to provision other Linux OSes like
Ubuntu as well (both in 32 and 64 bit versions).

If the OS you are installing supports network install using kickstart, you
can use the embedded Cobbler to create a profile object to install instead
of the image object.

The cobbler website has more information on how to set up image/profile
objects in it.

Darryl, perhaps you can write up a quick HOWTO on the ovirt.org wiki for
adding profiles/images to Cobbler for oVirt?  That would help out users
immeasurably.

Thanks,

Perry

--
|=-        Red Hat, Engineering, Emerging Technologies, Boston        -=|
|=-                     Email: pmyers at redhat.com                      -=|