[Ovirt-devel] Some architecture diagrams

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Feb 15 15:34:39 UTC 2008

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> In terms of separate guest / machine for FreeIPA, this is really a deployment
> choice.  I think it'll be most trouble-free if you keep FreeIPA and the oVirt
> WUI in separate virtual machines. I should be possible to run them in the
> same VM with suitably clever Apache config, but unless you're really familiar
> with this I think it'll cause more development pain.

But think about this in terms of "I'm just an ordinary sysadmin who
wants to test out ovirt".  They've got past the screenshots and text on
the website and want to get to the next step.

Two questions:

(1) Can we make it so 'yum install ovirt' on an existing Fedora machine
pulls down enough software so that ovirt WUI can start up?

(2) Are the managed hosts and iSCSI servers _really_ necessary?

Question (1) => we could make package ovirt depend on the parts of
FreeIPA necessary (ipa-server & ipa-client I think).  _If_ we can
persuade FreeIPA to be a good citizen and not require its own server.

Question (2) => we shouldn't need any managed hosts or other servers,
just to start up the WUI.  Obviously it won't be very functional, but it
should at least start up.

> In theory yes, but we were having some trouble with mod_kerberos wrt to
> the service principles. I think its doable, but we need to spend more
> time poking the apache configs.

Rich.