[Ovirt-devel] Some architecture diagrams

Hugh O. Brock hbrock at redhat.com
Fri Feb 15 17:49:48 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 12:43:56PM -0500, Simo Sorce wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 16:41 +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> >
> > Yep, we're mainly wanting to do the shared apache server for purposes of
> > development to reduce the number of machines required for developers.
> > Obviously a production deployment would take FreeIPA sercurity much
> > more seriously and use a separate machine.
>
> Yeah the only concern is making sure that the service then works
> correctly even if it is on another machine. Its easy to take shortcuts,
> or not notice network related effects when all is on the same machine,
> but I see the value in that, so if you have specific requests to
> accomodate the apache conf let us know.
>
> Simo.

I suppose the obvious thing would be to consider rooting the FreeIPA
pages one level down the URL tree (maybe as a config option even) --
so that e.g. if FreeIPA was running in a shared Apache, you would always
browse to http://example.com/freeipa. Then other packages on the same
Apache don't have to worry about invading freeipa's URL space.

We thought about using name-based vhosting to do this but it doesn't
play nicely with kerberos, of course...

Thanks,
--Hugh