[Ovirt-devel] [R&D] Breaking the Browser

Perry N. Myers pmyers at redhat.com
Sat Jul 5 03:26:37 UTC 2008

mark wagner wrote:
>> What graph _absolutely has to be_ realtime? In all of the cases I
>> could come up with
>> not a one wouldn't be serviced by near-realtime graphs. Do you expect
>> users to have
>> ovirt graph screens up on a bank of plasma displays watching node
>> stats in realtime?
>
> So if your job is to monitor the 25 hosts in your pool and take
> immediate and
> effective action to mitigate any performance or catastrophic issues in said
> pool within one minute and 26 secs (3 nines, assuming this is the only
> issue
> that day) of the event, how are you going to monitor your pool ?
>
> If we don't provide the ability to notify immediately when a host goes
> down,
> you are rapidly eating into time specified to resolve a problem.

If your job is to monitor hosts in realtime, there are already really good
monitoring solutions for this.  I don't think we are attempting to replace
NOC software with oVirt.  We're trying to handle things like managing
virtual systems, provisioning and simplifying the usage of the datacenter.

If you need to look at performance trends to determine whether or not to
rebalance your vms across physical hosts, oVirt will be able to do that
for you.  If you're looking to divvy up hardware among different groups in
your organization, we'll do that too.

If you're looking to monitor hosts and get immediate notification of when
they go down, then you probably already have a system implemented in your
NOC that does this.  (I can think of a few big names offhand)  Maybe
eventually we can have oVirt try to get into this space, but I think doing
that right now might be a bit premature.  We need to get really good at
the other things I mention above.  (i.e. our core capabilities)

Perry